Aqua Fish Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aqua Fish Forum

Where the fish is first !!!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
proyect01
Admin
proyect01

Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid" Empty
PostSubject: Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid"   Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid" Icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 1:51 am

One of my favorite dwarf cichlids, Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid" came in from Brazil a few weeks ago. After a few feedings I would say they would be a perfect group to have hanging out with the Green Neons. Once they reach sexual maturity the males will display their pastel red, blue, and green colors on a "checkerboard" black and white body for one another in hopes of courting one of the ripe females. After a brief "battle" the male leads his prized female to an underside of a leaf (Anubius is usually the best for the spawning to occur). If the tank parameters are right a successful spawn may occur. From what I've read and experimented with myself, this usually only occurs if the water is very soft. I have never seen one get this large, but the males can grow up to 4" and the females will max out at about 3". The males develop these elegant filament extensions on their caudal fin that is etched in an exquisite light red and blue that matches the dorsal and anal fin. The sight of two males in full display is a reward all on its own.

Anthony Perry
Sales Manager
The Wet Spot Tropical Fish
4310 NE Hancock St.
Portland, OR. 97213
PH: 503.719.7003
Back to top Go down
https://aqfifofm.forumotion.com

Dicrossus filamentosa "Checkerboard Cichlid"
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Aqua Fish Forum :: News and sports :: Fish News-